Monday, December 7, 2009

Naturality is NOT a life style.....or is it

(one of my fav natural hair photos)=====>


Hey Silky Chronicles family! Quick post/question for you today..... So I know a natural hair stylist who was discussing with one of her clients (a friend of mine) about being natural and this thing of it being a "life style". Her comments in general were that being natural is NOT a life style and people make it seem as though its like "coming out" to the world (in reference to those who identify themselves in the GLBT community). What she couldn't understand is all the hype on the web (really blogs like this one :) and some salons (in general) on the NEW phenomenon about going natural and embracing this "life style". She actually laughed at it and thought it was funny. See in her mind, we should not make a big deal about not straightening our hair, using chemicals/heat, etc...for its not anything new. Black women have been natural for years and this concept of "going natural" is really mainstream right now, but not anything deserving of all the attention its getting....

First let me say, she is not being negative by any means. She thinks its great to see more people embrace the texture God blessed them with and begin to stop letting others dictate who they should be. Its just that it was felt (not only by her....for I surveyed other natural women) that the blogging about hair, the huge media discussions on many talk shows (Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair") and the overwhelming promotion of products/what to and not to do is a bit much and uncessary.

What does Silky Coils say.....I think you all know the answer to that question. Lol. If you read back in previous post on here, it is evident that deciding to become natural was not a small thing for me; nor has continuing to grow and learn with my hair been easy. To me, it was scary and if I did not get comfortable about who I was FIRST, I was going to continue to allow others and society to dictate how I should look. Stepping out in public when I chopped my hair off was one of the most liberating, but also scary moments of my life...similar to when someone who decides to let the world know that they prefer the same sex versus the opposite. Some will have your back, others will persecute you....REAL TALK!!!

So of course I wanted to get my family to weigh in on the subject. You all have been so supportive of me and are filled with much wisdom. What do you all think? Are we making to much of a big deal about this whole "natural" thing? Is this a fade that will soon pass? Are we so insecure about who we are that we had to create this "natural hair world" thing to feel better about ourselves....your thoughts????

The orAKAle has spoken..........

2 comments:

  1. I honestly understand both sides of the coin. Their is alot of "hype" about "going natural" but it is not in anyway limited to the African American community. Our society in general has had an recent thrust in promoting natural. All commericals have tag lines such as "all natural ingredients" "no preservatives" "organic." We can't take the credit for the recent media attention of natural. The only thing Chris Rock did with "Good Hair" is put a name and more money to a topic people have been talking about for decades.

    The other side to the coin is as a fellow blogger, from my personal experience although "going natural is "hyped" up in many circles. It was not in my circle. The creation of Natural Hair Rules is my personal effort to share the knowledge gained on this journey of naturality. While inspiring others and combating the negative stereotypes of what natural is. If you are natural it is a "coming out" to everyone. Admitting to yourself and others "hey this is me". You will experience some of the same discontentment and disapproval.

    Although, I understand both sides; I have to disagree. Natural is a lifestyle. I had to change how I thought, saw and cared for my hair. I had to learn to love myself more than others opinion of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second your sentiments. Deciding to chop my long silky mane (as my ex use to call it) was a life changing thing for me.

    As for my blog, natural hair was just an aspect. I actually chose to create my blog to hone in on my free/creative writing skills as I am going back to school. Also, I like getting others (outside of my inner circle) opinions on topics. Sometimes the blog family can see things I can't.

    Thanks for the comment hunny!

    ReplyDelete