Tuesday, December 15, 2009

To Straighten or Not - Weighing In

Hey family! Quick post today for my blog readers....I really need your advice. So I am preparing for a few interviews for position career enhancement. Very excited that God is moving in my life and the promises he told me or manifesting. Well, the conversation (not negative at all) has come up on how I was going to do my hair for these face to face interviews.


Keeping in mind that I want to always put my best foot forward and be the best candidate for the positions,I wanted to get my family's suggestions on how to approach this. I am a firm believer that you can be natural and land a job (no brainer), but as a newer natural, friends and family were wondering if I was going to rock the fro, the puff or straighten my hair to guarantee that I am ininvertely "discriminated" against due to my look.


Keep in mind I am meeting these individuals for the first time, and once I land the job, I can rock my hair the way I want (as it fits into the company climate of course). I don't want to give ANYONE any reason to doubt my skills and if I will be able to perform the position as required (which I know I can no matter what...but I digress).


So I pose the question to my blog readers....Should I or should I NOT straighten my hair to guarantee an offer for the positions I seek?


The orAKAle has spoken.....


6 comments:

  1. Personally, for the corporate world, sometimes you have to play the game to get your foot in the door. Less distraction is more. And it's not limited to hair: it's the black suit, minimal makeup, minimal jewelry, etc. And that may not be you naturally, but you want to make the hiring manager focus on what you're saying and not how you look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with the person above. Straighten your hair for the interview. Once you get your foot in the door...you can "unleash" the fro! Good Luck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depends...do you want to do what we have been doing since slavery, COMPROMISING OUR IDENTITIES, or continuing "playing the game" that keeps ignorance alive? Choices my sister, choices. If they don't hire you because you are you...black, get your own. I'm tired of US BLACK FOLK having the slave mentality of "playing the game" to get what we need from the white man. GET YOUR OWN PEOPLE and release white Santa from you life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not compromising your idenity if you straighten your hair for an interview, get a job, and wear a fro once you get it. Further, if your idenity is your hair, then you are truly a shallow person. Pull your hair back in a bun, don't "distract" your interviewer with your appearance, so that your identity becomes what you have accomplished in school/work and what skills your bring to the table. EVERYTHING about your interview should be what skills you bring to the table. Not how you look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would want to stand out and not look like everybody else, be myself

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments family! Really good advice. I will post my interview hair soon!

    ReplyDelete