Monday, December 28, 2009

I know its been a long time coming, but I finally got around to doing my first ever product review (PR), here on The Silky Chronicles! Thanks to all my family who faithfully follows this blog for the suggestions, comments and much consistent love you have shown me to date! Whether its updated pictures and/or updated entries that I have posted, I constantly get asked "what do you use on your hair?". Well if you read the title of this post, you FINALLY got your answer. Lol. Karen's Body Beautiful (KBB) all the way for me!

Since the beginning of my journey, I've always had KBB as the dominant part of my staple products in my hair care collection. Whether I was transitioning or after the big chop, some form of her items have helped my hair grow into the healthy, thick and LONG hair that it is today. Below is a brief review of the products I HAVE TRIED only and is not a full reflection on her entire line. All items mentioned below are currently use in my natural hair regimen:


Conditioning Shampoo -
(8 oz) Cleans and moisturizes hair without stripping it.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Saponified Coconut & Safflower Oils, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Vera, Echinacea, Nettle, Horsetail, Panthenol, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils

My thoughts - While I know that no-poo/co-washing is all the rave (lol), I absolutely love and prefer this stuff! If you are a type of naturalista that needs shampoo in your life, this is the stuff for you. There is not a huge lather, but it gets the job done. Hair looks, smells and feels clean and very soft after using. I also like the fact that I don't have to use a lot (like regular poos) so one bottle can go a long way. Only downfall is that if you do use to much, it can cause leave a residue on the scalp (this is usually how you know that you used to much); BUT this can be counteracted by doing another detailed rinse!


Deep Conditioner
-
(8 oz or 16oz) Provides protection to thirsty, brittle prone hair with panthenol that seals the hair follicle.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Jojoba Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Wax, Aloe Vera, Echinacea, Nettle, Horsetail, Panthenol, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils & Natural Enzymes


My thoughts - The conditioner will leave your hair feeling soft and very manageable for detangling. I use this faithfully after my weekly deep treatment OR sometimes AS my deep treatment (depending on time). It provides very good slip to detangle either with your fingers or a comb. A little goes a long way as well!



Hair Milk- (8 oz or 16oz) Product moisturizes the detangles, defrizzes and defines your curls. Can be used several times a week.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Jojoba and Avocado Oils,Vegetable Wax, Vitamin E,
Panthenol, Arnica and Calendula Flowers, Echinacea, Nettle and Horsetail Extracts, Vegetable Glycerin, Wheat Germ Oil, Fragrance Oils & Natural Enzymes

My thoughts - When they say that a "dab is all you need"...nothing can be further from the truth. This product serves as a great curl refresher and/or a leave in conditioner before styling the hair. I usually use this product daily either a night to rebraid/twist my hair OR in the morning if I am doing a wash n go/"wild fro" day. Lol. I always keep a bottle of this stuff in my collection at all times. If you like light products packed with all the good stuff (but will not weigh the hair down), this is the item for you! Again, another product I used faithfully as I was transitioning.



Hair Butter- (8 oz) Made only from rich, thick butters and luxurious oils. Hair butter conditions, softens and adds sheen to fragile, stressed hair. Great for natural, relaxed or pressed hair. Suggested use: twice a week on hair and scalp or more as needed.

Ingredients: Shea, Coca, Mango, Jojoba and Aloe Butter, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils, Grapefruit Seed Oil and Vitamin E. 99.4% natural


My thoughts - I love how this product can be used on all types of hair. KBB's hair butter was used (by me) more when I was transitioning than now. It was great for twists, twist/braid outs and pressing (as mentioned). It also works well on straightening transitional hair. Sadly to say, I don't think I used this product the best way I could have. To me, it was a little to thick for my licking, but did wonders if I used it ONLY on my hair when dry. I would suggest anyone who is transitioning to give this product a try!


Hair Cream- (8 oz) Enriched with ingredients that stimulate hair growth and strengthen your hair shaft, this cream moisturizes and adds sheen to dull, dry hair. Excellent for natural, relaxed or pressed hair. Suggested use: twice a week on hair and scalp or more as needed.

Ingredients: Shea Butter, Rosehip Oil,Vegetable Glycerin,Essential and/or Fragrance Oils, Vitamin E & Carrot Seed Oil. 99.4% natural


My thoughts - I usually partner this product with the hair milk. If I just cleansed and conditioned, I use the milk as a leave in then follow up with this item to style. Again...another fabo and fav of mine that is ALWAYS stocked in my collection. This product is not to heavy and not to light...its just right! I really use this product to braid/twist my hair, but mainly as a morning refresher for my coils. While I did not use this product while transitioning, I have used this on someone's hair who was transitioning....EXCELLENT for styling!



Overall I would highly suggest this product to any and everyone (natural or not). When I was transitioning and researching the best products to try, I had the hardest time trying to find products that worked best for type 4 hair. No offense to other products, but the thing I love about KBB is that no matter what your hair type is, it works for you! Discovering how and what to use is left up to the person, but it will leave your hair soft, manageable and very cute to take on the world. Lol. This is a line that the entire family can use...no really....lol.

On her website, you can order a trial size package of some of her items. Also, if you sign up for her mailing list, every week she has this special call "Freebee Fridays" where on that day, you get some sort of deal if you place an order. This is how I am able to maximize the products I buy, but not spend a bunch of money. All prices are clearly marked on her website as well.

FYI - The hair milk is her number one seller...and I can totally see why. You will love what it does for your hair...trust me :)

If any of you have used her line and have suggestions or comments, I welcome them. Let us know what worked for you OR didn't work....and I hope you will consider trying out the products.


The orAKAle has spoken........



Source - all products, descriptions and prices can be found on the Karen's Body Beautiful site found here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I've been meaning to try KBB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @savvybrown I recommend all naturalistas do! I love her stuff. lol

    ReplyDelete