Monday, November 30, 2009

Its my Nappaversary!

( DUDE my fro is huge)


A year ago on this date (well actually it was more like on November 13th), I decided to chop my hair off and start over. Lol. After about 8 months of transitioning (which was suppose to be longer...but I digress), I removed my first set of braids and had at it (with the scissors). Lol.

When I think back to my first initial response to my new look, I remember having thoughts of doubts and even wanting to cry. "What have I done"
is a phrase that I remember saying over an over. See like most newbies, I was not totally sure of what I was getting myself into, but couldn't turn back..not now. After the support and love of many of you who follow me AND have their own blog at that, the journey became easier and a very liberating decision. To this date, I don't understand why I even doubted myself AND my natural black beauty.

At first, my family was a little shocked. Some snide comments here and there and a lot staring. Fast forward to the present day...nothing but compliments (even from those none nappy headed lovers). I have even had family members asking me how to help their children hair be as healthy and soft besides using the relaxer/perm method.....for convenience, manageability and cost savings....HA....who would have guest that.

Its amazing how one person can spark a new appreciation of what it means to be black AND what is beauty. This right here is why I decided to let go of the chemicals and heat. To be a beacon of hope and inspiration to all my naturalistas (especially
my 4 A/C divas); that its ok to let your TRUE beauty shine threw when it comes to hair AND that you don't need to have it straightened to be accepted.

This journey has been a humbling one for me, and I am so thankful and appreciative that God had me embark on this journey now at this age, versus earlier (or later). Below are more pics I took to commemorate my new hair, looks
and length to you...my family.

( ok so I was in the car trying to motivate myself to go into Walmart to shop...it was crazy)



( this is my favorite look)

To each of you, thank you so much for your love and support of me. More styles to come for you family.....

11 comments:

  1. Look at you, you HOT tamale! I'm so proud of your growth (your hair and you as a person) during this life changing experience. Congrats!

    Your bc is the day after my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wonderful pics - Happy Nappaversary :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Nappaversary. Your hair looks HOT!!!!!!!!! Before I decided to lock, I wore my hair the same way and loved it too. Peace Lovie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the love all. It had not been an easy journey, but I woul dnot go back and change it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty pics and nice post! The las pic is my favorite! How did you get your hair like that in the last pic? I would like to try that style :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I can't wait for my Nappaversary! I just cut my hair this past Oct and I got my last relaxer in Feb :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly think the last pic was by accident. Lol. I plan to post an update to my hair regimen with direction to that look. Stay tuned....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your post truly inspired me. I have been transitioning for 2 months and today was the first time I took pictures of my Transitioning Hair - I have been having some REALLY bad days and some REALLY good days..lol. The best part is that I am transitioning with my younger sister; so, we have been each others support system. However, today when I checked out CurlyNikki and read your post I was like - WOW! Truly inspiring in so many ways! I am currently residing as a Volunteer in the Dominican Republic and it is so hard for people to understand the concept and beauty of Healthy, Natural Hair.. Thanks you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great look, wonderful hair!
    Ciao!
    Lucio

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so good looking, Really stunning

    ReplyDelete