Saturday, January 31, 2009

Football – America’s Favorite Past Time

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand the big deal with the Super Bowl…really…is it that big of a deal? I know I am going to probably offend or frustrate many of my football fanatics on here, but what do you get out of it (if you’re not at the actual game)? When our “team” wins, what exactly do we get…because I am still looking for my door prize from the year of the JJ wardrobe malfunction. Lol.


To try to be more diverse in my favorite past times, this year, I decided to get more creative and attempted to throw a Super Bowl party. Yes, your girl is going to host a party that is actually centered on this year’s Super Bowl game. A little background, I am in no way a football fan, but will tolerate (yes I said it) this sport (meaning go to a game if invited and sit and watch on TV…again if asked). All those who know me know I don’t watch the game, but I have been slowly but surely learning the ins and outs of this sport (so if you were invited and come just know I will be asking a bunch of questions) and hope that in the future I can at least participate in the excitement that comes along with watching this aggressive game.


So for my first annual Super Bowl party, I advertised in advance that I will be serving a variety of healthy game foods (so be prepared). Now, one of my colleagues and friends question the notion of serving healthy snacks for the big game (like it was somewhat hypocritical); but I responded with “why not”. Why can’t this type of event have a few any fattening food items (for those healthy conscience people like me)? Can’t I be concerned about my guest physical well being? Can we enjoy this game without over indulging…I received a resounding NO, but still I will try to achieve my goal on Sunday?


For those who don’t know, it is a known fact that for the super bowl (and really any football game) we as American’s consume over 500 – 1,500 calories…..DID YOU JUST READ THAT….over 500 calories in one sitting? Are you kidding me? Keep in mind this is not including the “meals” you had that day (before or after the game). Knowing this fact, I decide to try a different attempt to enjoying America’s favorite past time. I will have multiple types of drinks (alcohol and non alcohol) and an assortment of low calorie, but good, desserts and appetizers. With that, I am experimenting with my new “Super Bowl Dip” for the party. Hopefully if this dish is a hit, I can start implementing it annual for the big game and possibly other sport events. If I get an overall good response from my guest, I may let you in on the ingredients.


In case I don’t post again before the game, for those who will be tuning in, enjoy the game and be safe…and try not to over indulge this year….


The orAKAle has spoken…………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment