Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lovin My Natural

The journey from chemical treated to natural hair has not been easy. But I will say that I've learned that what is important is the journey from the start to finish. Despite negativity and concern from those in around me (inner - outer circle), I am pressing on and am loving my natural!

This week I embarked on a new style in wearing my hair. It is not anything new or fabulous but I am proud that I DID IT on my own...and I'm loving the results (see to the right). Clearly I have a glow because today was one of the most interesting days I've had all summer. While walking about across campus, I was constantly getting looks and comments. See the stares/glares and words weren't hateful, but positive. People really notice my hair style and wanted to stop me in my path and let me know (verbally) or confirm my notion with looks.

As black women, I can say that I fell like most do....adhering to the stereotypes of how we are suppose to look and how to wear our hair. I was not brought up to hate myself or how God created me, but I really thought that natural hair, would not be becoming on someone like me or professional (for me). This was not to demean those who have always worn their natural hair, but it was my thoughts and what I felt was true. Lol. I laugh because I know now that I was ignorant to the meaning of true beauty, but also needed to personal grow (love myself even more). Today I am feeling myself, because I am getting so much love from acquaintances and/or strangers on my look. And I'm loving it!!

A great women, motivator, naturalista (yes I just made up another word) and blogger Ms. Floyd at Natural Hair Rules did a posting last week entitled "Has My Natural Offended You"....if you haven't read it, you should. The girl was preaching. Not only has she committed herself to motivated those (like myself) embarking on a natural hair journey, but those who are struggling with loving themselves (the way God made them). I mention her entry for I totally was feeling the sista; definetly today more than when I initially read it. Not to say that I think those around me are offended (which in fact some maybe), but more to send the message of "yes, I cut my long silky mane to have silky kinky coils...I'm sexier than ever now....AND I could care less of what you think". Lol. And from the attention I've been getting, its evident they feel the same. Lol.


I guess the lesson is that you have to love yourself before anyone else can love you. Remember that you can't control how others feel or view you, but you can control how YOU feel about YOU. Its a long's day journey family. As long as God is for you, who can be against you.

The orAKAle has spoken........


3 comments:

  1. being natural is the best way to learn how to love yourself more truly. since i have been natural i feel way more comfortable and confident. i also have learned that i can do anything that i want and not have to answer to what others may think about it. i am definitely stronger as a result of being natural. it's a feeling that you can never understand unless you take the leap and go natural.

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hon! I really appreciate the love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still working up to my BC but I'm looking forward to it when I make that move.

    ReplyDelete